Quilters Lead Pieceful Lives.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Labyrinth

About a year ago I posted my Bulging Checkerboard quilt (Stand Back!), and got a lovely email about it from a quilter in Portland, Oregon named Margaret Ellis.   She also wanted to make that pattern, but in the same size as I did (51 x 51) vs the original 102 x 102 size of the pattern.

Since that time we have corresponded regularly and shared photos and ideas about a number of projects. And, yes....she did make the Checkerboard quilt too.

I have had a pattern in my queue for a long time, "Labyrinth Walk", (click for link to pattern). This pattern also makes a huge quilt: 84 x 84! Maybe it's just me, but this is waaaayyyy to big to put on a wall (unless you had a specific large, prominent space in mind), and I think the whole effect / impact would be lost if it was used as a bedspread. Why do these creators make these quilts so big?

I had been able to scale down the Checkerboard to one-fourth size, but for some reason was having trouble doing this one. Margaret reminded me of a fun math fact: halve the dimension and you get 1/4 the size! So she was kind enough to put together a complete set of cutting instructions at the new size of 45 x 45 and sent them to me in December (along with a picture of her version of Labyrinth). The reason it is not exactly a one-quarter scale is that the white strips in the original are cut to 1.25" wide. There is no way to scale those in half and still have room left for a 1/4" seam allowance on both sides. So she just made those 1", which still worked out fine.

I put these new instructions in my "stack of things to be done" because a) we were going away for a week at the end of the month, and b) I was working on another quilt. Then, just after the first of the year, I saw a Facebook posting for an Art Auction at Homer Plessy School in New Orleans. Loyal readers know that my daughter lives in Nola, and one of her good friends is on the board of this school. YES!  I will make Labyrinth as it is a perfect candidate for an auction. But the art piece submission deadline was March 15th! Suddenly, I had to get very busy working on this. Luckily, we have had a string of single-digit and below-zero temp days, and my wife had an out-of-town weekend conference, so I had plenty of time to work on making this quilt.

Here is my finished piece:

As in some other 3D quilts, the farther back you stand, the better the dimensionality.

And, like a lot of quilts, this looks so much harder to make than it actually is! The fabrics are white, light gray, dark gray, and black batiks. There are really just two different blocks and they are arranged in 3 x 3 rows: the "2 concentric squares" block (5 of those), and the "maze" block (4 of those). Each block is about 12" square. It's all in the design, cutting and piecing. The former block is made up of 30 pieces for each, while the latter needs 64!

The two gray borders on the right side and bottom, plus the diagonal black corners, reinforce the apparent depth of the body.

As usual, I did minimal quilting: white thread in the ditch of all the white strips, plus grays and black ditching along the border edges as necessary.

Let me know if you can find your way out of the maze!

16 comments:

carol said...

Great job Wayne! Love this quilt.

Anonymous said...

Love it, have to try this! Thank you.

Nancyp said...

Where can I find this pattern?

Wayne Rhodes said...

Nancyp: http://www.easyfreepatterns.com/labyrinth-maze-quilt-patterns.html

Goldie said...

Has anyone did this in a different color? Love it but would like to do it in light and dark blue, would I still get the same effect?

Wayne Rhodes said...

Goldie: As long as there is a significant difference in the VALUES of the colors then blues would work fine.

Buster said...

My grandson (13) and I are doing this quilt in Light green, Pale Blue, Teal, and Dark Blue (he chose all the fabric. We didn't go with Batik, but all of the colors have the same design.

Wayne Rhodes said...

Awesome Buster! Please post a pic when you are done.

Carol Home said...

Did you cut the fabric in the order of print on the pattern? I'm worried about cutting and running out of fabric?
Your quilt is very nice! I'm working with tiffany blue and a darker blue.

Wayne Rhodes said...

Carol Home: It's been a long time since I made this (and I am actually out of the country right now) so I will just have to answer from memory. I also suffer from I'm-going-to-run-out anxiety, so m guess is that I cut the biggest (border pieces) first and then worked using the rest. If you want me to check my notes when I return home (at the end of next week), send me an email at wsrhodes@gmail.com to let me know.

Debby's Fibro Fog Blog said...

I can't seem to find this pattern any where. The site you mentioned above only downloads a jpeg for me. I'm not skilled enough to do a quilt from a picture. I need instructions. Do you have any way of sending me more information? I really want to make this quilt!

Wayne Rhodes said...

Debby: please send me an email at wsrhodes@gmail.com and I will give you more detailed info.

Unknown said...

Hi, Wayne, I would also love to have,the pattern/instructions for the Labyrinth Walk quilt..it will be my very first quilt! I want to make it queen size.catsnapper9@yahoo.com.

Linda K said...

I just got the pattern from Guilty Quilter. Like you, I can't imagine making it that big. I read your comment about halfing the measurements but I am confused. I would also like to make it as a wall hanging.

Wayne Rhodes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wayne Rhodes said...

Linda K.: please send me an email at wsrhodes@gmail.com and I will give you more detailed info.